Monday, April 7, 2014

Staying Invested


Back in January when I started working on my PowerSheets, I picked my word for 2014 which was (and is): INVEST. As a transitive verb, by definition it means, "(1) to make use of for future benefits or advantages, (2) to involve or engage especially emotionally." My thought process was that my big picture goals require small decisions of investment that will prayerfully achieve the greater goal.


For example, I want to make use of my mornings with a quiet time, knowing the future (and daily) benefit is peace, trust, and a deeper understanding of the Word. I want to engage emotionally with Taylor on a daily business - not distracted by my phone or e-mails, so that our marriage stays strong and focused.

But making those investments is not easy. There are so many distractions and discouragements that can surround us day to day.  I tend to feel things for others very deeply so when they are going through hard things (and A LOT of my dear friends are) it can weigh on my heart and cloud my mind. Of course it's invaluable to focus on and serve others, I am not dismissing that by any means. But I need to find the balance of considering others needs above my own (Philippians 2:3-4), while still having my needs met.

And maybe that's why I'm rambling through this post because in moments of fear and doubt I start to feel like certain needs are not being met; in my weakness I want to give up, not care, move on, put behind me, etc etc. Recently I looked up an antonym for invest which is to deprive, "to take something away, to withhold something from." When I think about my daily decisions in that context- that my lack of investment can lead to withholding the greater goal, I'm more motivated to keep pushing forward. To keep investing, not depriving. To pray through it, to ask how to change and how to be more honest.

So wherever you are - in your work, your marriage, your friendships, your workouts, your spiritual walk - KEEP INVESTING. Make the little choices that may not be fun in the moment, but lead to life, as healthy as it can be, in all sense of the word.

If you need some quotes as a pick-me-up:





Or if you need some scriptures to dig deep in to:

Psalm 112:6-7
Isaiah 43:2-3
Matthew 11:28-30
Philippians 1:6
Philippians 3:12-13

And a song for encouragement.

// Top image via Patterson Maker. Quotes via Pinterest //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...